Tesco has today announced the launch of an innovative new smartphone app that will help customers tackle the cost of calling internationally from both home and abroad.
Available in time for the World Cup and holiday season, the app is free and available now on the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Holiday-makers or those heading to Brazil for the World Cup will be able to save on mobile roaming charges and expensive hotel phone rates by connecting to hotel Wi-Fi and using the app to make calls back to the UK for just 2p per minute, the same rate as they would be charged if they were making the same call at home.
· For someone in Brazil, a 30-minute phone call back to the UK using the Tesco Calling Card would cost 60p. A leading hotel in Brazil* charges approximately £60.20 for the same call**
· For someone holidaying in Spain, half an hour on the phone to someone in the UK using Tesco Calling Card would cost 30p. The same call using a hotel phone in the Costa Del Sol*** would cost £14.50
The app can also be used to call overseas from the UK from just 1p per minute, helping to reduce the cost for families and loved-ones to stay in touch.
A Tesco spokesperson says, “The new app offers an even more convenient and cost effective way to keep in touch with loved ones over the summer, whether that be from the sun lounger to back home, or from the sofa in the UK to family living overseas.”
The Tesco Calling Card app offers fuss-free, low cost international calls with a high quality phone line and a plenty of practical and money-saving features including;
· £1 of free credit when the app is downloaded
· Earn £2 free credit for referring friends****
• The ability to make calls via the app without using bundled minutes
• Free app to app calling and messaging
• Automatic sync with existing phone contacts
• Collecting Clubcard points when making calls
Tesco Calling Card also offers traditional calling cards, for those without a smartphone. These can be purchased at any Tesco store. App credit can be topped up by £5, £10 or £20 both via the App, in store and online.
A full list of rates can be found online at phone-shop.tesco.com/