It is possible to fly to Sardinia and not to spend loads of money on the trip and stay there. Below shared are my recommendations following a trip to Sardinia back in 2013 🙂 Learn what to do when in Alghero and on a budget 🙂
1. Go to momondo and book cheap flights from the UK to Italy, or more specifically from the UK to Sardinia. Try to choose Alghero because apparently it is better to be in Alghero than around Olbia (Sardinia has 3 airports, 2 in the North of the island and one in the South).
2. When in Alghero take the bus from the airport to the city – it is going to take around 20 mins depending on where you have to get off and will cost you a few Euros.
3. Good and cheap accommodation can be found at B&B Bogamari – the rooms are nicely designed and clean and the host is amazing, so is the breakfast he serves daily.
4. The B&B is within walking distance from the heart of the city, however, the best place to dine is to be found when walking in the opposite direction – it is a restaurant called ‘Ramblas’. The food and its price were amazing compared to overpriced restaurants in the heart of the city. However there are a few nice restaurants, one close to ‘Il Pavone II’ close to Bastione Colombo and another one close to the church, they even serve food during siesta time, which is a bonus 🙂
5. When you want to find a cheap shop for food shopping pop into Euro Spin at via Lamarmota 26, close to McDonald’s. It is a nice discount shop which is much cheaper than the local shops or other supermarkets.
6. When the weather is nice do a boat trip to Neptune’s Grotto. Try to find one of the guys selling the tickets before selling away – if you won’t decide to buy the tickets ASAP and you will look as not entirely convinced chances are they will half the prices – so try to use this tactic 🙂 it did work for me and I actually wanted to go on this trip…
7. If you stay in Sardinia for longer you may wish to visit Fertilia but be warned this city doesn’t have anything special to offer – it is even hard to find a decent restaurant there…
8. If you want something which is not cheap but quite posh and elegant visit Costa Smeralda but be warned it is properly expensive. I am just mentioning it here in case you don’t want to do everything on a tight budget.
9. Enjoy and share your experience with me in the comments:-)